Monday, February 22, 2010

Bitter Sweet

Sio visited this weekend and reminded me a lot of home. I was starting to forget about how much I miss home. In a way I guess that means I’ve been making the best out of my experience here- at the same time, now I can only think about what I’m missing – being surrounded by those I care about most. In some ways, I’m glad I haven’t made any really close friends because otherwise I wouldn’t be able to continue growing and becoming more independent, which is my ultimate goal. On the other hand it can get a little lonely, and I forget how nice it feels to be surrounded by close friends and family who know the real me. My entire life I have craved security and stability. Everything has always been dictated by what my parents want (granted they'd probably disagree), or what I do depends on if my friends will do it with me. Finally I’ve taken the leap and done something for myself. When I feel lonely, I try to remember that this trip is for me, and nothing can stop me from smiling and making the most out of my experience. These past few weeks have definitely been a roller coaster ride filled with highs and lows for all sorts of reasons. I’ve been managing well though and sometimes Florence even feels more and more like home. I’m constantly pushing myself to try new things- go to new places- take in as much as I can. I still have a lot to accomplish but I’m on my way.

Back to how my weekend was…

Sio and I had quite an eventful day on Saturday, going to see the David, going to my favorite Florentine bakery, climbing to the top of the duomo, hiking to the Piazzale Michaelangelo, sitting and devouring the most delicious mix of pinapple and coconut gelato, attending mass in the duomo, eating a delcious dinner that I made and experiencing a little bit of the nightlife.


Sunday I woke up early early and boarded the train to Cortona with 7 other girlfriends. I really wanted to go to Cortona because for all of you who are obsessed with Under the Tuscan Sun, like I am, this is the town that it takes place in. This was one of the greatest decisions of my life. So far, Cortona is my favorite place- it’s located on the side of a hill, with a central road that winds up and down one side.

It is such a homey type of village, and well kept. When we got off the train we purchased bus tickets, but realized afterwards that the bus wasn’t coming for 2 hours. My friend Kelly and I decided to take the lead and start the hike up to Cortona. The weather was warm and sunny- finally I could smell fresh green grass and hear birds chirping all around- this, I cannot find in the city. I can’t even describe how good it felt to be back around nature. It's the closest thing to vermont I've had in awhile. It was a long walk but completely worth it and we were all very glad we hiked rather than taking the bus.

Eventually we arrived to Cortona and found a place to stop for lunch. I had a cheese quiche, and chicken marsala. Both meals were different than what you would expect in the U.S. but my meal as a whole was one of the most delicious meals I’ve had here so far- and it was reasonably priced. * We stayed the entire day, exploring and hiking the rest of the steep, narrow roads to the fortress at the top of the hill.

I took a seat and had a moment to sit, breath and relax, taking in as much of the view as I could. It was truly breathtaking.

I can't wait to continue exploring the Tuscan country side. It will have to wait a little while though because next weekend we are off to Rome! Can't pass up an opportunity to see the Pope. I'll post after I return.

1 comment:

  1. You're kicking ass out there Ker. Hey, that rhymed! I'm impressed with your self-assessment and ability to identify what it is that is bothering you and how you go about honing your independence. Keep cooking and eating! Enjoy el Papa.

    ReplyDelete